Scotland has a richly diverse and inventive musical history from Lonnie Donegan to Young Fathers. Test your Scottish pop knowledge in our quiz
Support independent, non-corporate media.
To mark the end of Rip it Up, the National Museum’s hulking exhibition of Scottish pop and rock we’ve compiled a pop quiz, giving you the chance to show off your vast array of obscure and wonderful facts about Caledonia’s unique contribution to music and popular culture. E mail your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org by 8 p.m. on Tuesday 11th December. The wise souls who answer all the questions correctly will have the chance to win a copy of Vic Galloway’s Rip It Up book which explores the rise and rise of Scottish pop. Winners will be announced on Wednesday December 12th, and we’ll also post the correct answers then. Usual competition rules apply. Don’t shilly shally!
- Which Scottish label released the first Human League single?
- The director of the 2015 movie Slow West was in which Fife band?
- Who do Belle and Sebastian take their name from?
- Where was Lulu born?
- Which singer earned his first live performance payment supporting an early incarnation of The Beatles at Alloa Town Hall in 1960?
- Who is Dumfries native Alan Richard Wiles?
- With which US film actress did the Bay City Rollers sing Saturday Night with on Irish TV?
- Who was JAMC’s original drummer?
- Which chart-topping band from Glasgow’s east end were originally known as the Gaylords?
- What was Annie Lennox’s group before Eurythmics?
- Sheena Easton and Teenage Fanclub hail from which Lanarkshire town?
- Which Two Ronnies regular was born in Dunfermline on September 27, 1947?
- Silly Wizard wrote the theme tune for which popular TV soap?
- Name 2 hits by the Revillos/Rezillos.
- Greenock’s John McGeoch played guitar for a succession of experimental bands in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. Name three.
- While we’re on experimental, where did The Incredible String Band get their name?
- Where was Talking Heads’ David Byrne born?
- What connection does Rod Stewart have with Scotland?
- Which Scottish city is name-checked in an Abba number one?
- Who was Franz Ferdinand?
- Before the Rollers had a global hit with it in 1975, who performed the original version of Bye Bye Baby?
- Which Scottish singer got his big break at a live Radio Clyde event in 2003?
- What connects Orange Juice, Josef K and Aztec Camera?
- Which musician inspired the title track to John Martyn’s Solid Air album?
- Which Tim Buckley song did This Mortal Coil make their own in 1984?
- What connects Forfar, Kirriemuir and Fremantle in Western Australia?
- Which duo won a record contract by covering David Bowie’s Boys Keep Swinging without copyright permission?
- What Fife village do the Proclaimers come from?
- Which English chart toppers were managed by The Poets manager?
- In what year did Hue and Cry have a hit with Labour of Love?
- Which Glasgow band found an international fanbase when they posted a song on New York’s in Neon Gold Records in 2012?